Recipe By Manjit Handa, PhD
- Herbed firm tofu, 1 block (450-454g);
- One medium onion, diced;
- ½ inch ginger, grated;
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds;
- 1 tomato, diced;
- 2 table spoons olive oil;
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder;
- 1 ½ cup water; 2 tablespoons milk;
- 2 table spoons cilantro/parsley, minced, whichever preferred;
- A pinch of turmeric powder;
- Salt to taste.
In a skillet, heat the olive oil and add cumin seeds. After a couple of seconds add the diced onion and ginger and keep stirring until golden brown. Then add turmeric powder and tomatoes. When the tomatoes are tender add tofu, water, milk, salt, pepper and cilantro. When the water begins to boil, simmer down the heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Then increase the heat and let the tofu absorb all the liquid. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve as a side dish, starter or hot salad, just the way you like it. Enjoy! [HQ]
Dr. Manjit Handa loves to cook, paint and write. Visit her website here.