by Parmjit Singh, PhD
In the middle of doing something important if your attitude turns negative or you turn self-critical, do this:
• Drop whatever you are doing for few moments.
• Close your eyes and pay attention to the volley of thoughts swirling in your mind.
• Just watch them and look for the space between each thought. Do not manipulate thoughts; let them flow but maintain a watchful attitude.
• Keep focused on the space between thoughts, the calm awareness on which each thought rise and fall. Initially, thought-flow will look seamless, but stay focused without struggling.
• As you watch, you will realize that space between each appearing-and-disappearing thought widens. Thoughts tend to slow down just like waves after a storm.
• And as you become more aware of this ‘calm awareness’ underlying the seamless thoughts, your negativity will disappear because you will be getting in touch with your natural self.