HEALTH AND WELLNESS—OFFICIAL POSITION STAND
With gradual sophistication of technology and scientific instrumentation, our predominant definition of human body and mind in the last few centuries has been more or less oriented toward materialistic explanations. This shift had seriously affected the way science and medicine looked at human body and its diseases.
George Engel’s contention that science of medicine is still based popularly on, “the notion of the body as a machine, of disease as the consequence of breakdown of the machine, and of the doctor’s task as repairer of the machine” rings ominously about the de-personalization that medical profession has gone through ever since the rise of technology. Though this ‘machine’ approach has worked efficiently for some of the diseases yet it has failed to deliver a humane approach to treatment of patients and diseases. Furthermore, it does not empower the patients to take an active approach to healing and wellness process.
However, we are not machines and a disease is not an isolated mechanical or organic failure in a physical body. We recognize that a disease reflects a generalized imbalance in human body-mind-spirit axis and its cure or prevention has to be charted on the similar grounds. We, human beings, are a complicated web of physical, mental and spiritual events frozen into time and are driven by our life experiences. E.g., it has been shown in research that any major onset of a disease in person is most times preceded by traumatic events or prolonged exposure to taxing emotional circumstances.
Our multidimensional health, wellness and performance enhancement system recognizes and reflects the intrinsic healing potential of our being. It intends to:
- Emphasize the necessity of balancing mental, physical and spiritual part of our being both at work and home.
Present tools for discovering authentic inner self.
Teach skills and exercises meant to mobilize the inherent healing and performance potential of human mind-brain system.
Lay out a detailed working personal model to make work and job-experience pleasant and satisfying.
Highlight the role of internal human experience in healing and wellness process.
- Make one understand that there is a possibility of good life even if one is afflicted with serious ailment.
- Provide hands-on take-home exercises and techniques to initiate and maintain health and well-being.
- Help uncover personal attributes that either hinder or help in healing and wellness process.
- Provide a personalized approach to health, wellness and performance enhancement at home, job or work.
- Offer a personal empowerment plan to boost physical, mental and spiritual strength.
Above all, this system is holistic, multidisciplinary and self-empowering.